LGBT Detroit Leadership Academy
We are next
The LGBT Detroit Leadership Academy is a social justice-training program for young LGBT adults and allies. For over two decades, the members and community surrounding LGBT Detroit have been serving Detroit’s lesbian, gay, bi and transgender communities and advocating on their behalf. We believe that the longevity and success of the program serves as a model for leadership development for LGBT and allied young adults around the country.
The purpose of The LGBT Detroit Leadership Academy is to prepare and train the next generation of leaders in Michigan’s LGBT movement.
Classes are held at LGBT Detroit, 20025 Greenfield Rd
(at Chippewa St), Detroit MI 48235.
Students will learn the basics of:
- LGBT Michigan 101
- Community and movement building
- Local and state civic leadership
Upon completions of each term, students will acquire:
- Social maturity
- An internship at a local LGBT and/or social justice organization
- Knowledge of the state of the movement
- Sense of belonging and civic responsibility and engagement
- Recognition of their role in and awareness of the movement and the greater LGBT community
Our Distinguished Alumni have:
- Been invited to the White House
- Ran for Elective offices
- Opened their own LGBT non-profits
- Facilitated at National conferences
- Featured on the covers and in articles of national magazines
- Been repeatedly national recognized as LGBT Leaders
It is because of this rich history that we choose to create a competitive process for entry into our program. Each year we receive dozens of deserving applicants but only a few are selected. Our process is an accelerated leadership course designed for those who have already shown a passion for leadership and advocacy in their communities.
- Be a resident of the Metro Detroit Area
- Must be able to demonstrate a history of affiliation or support of the LGBTQIA community
- Must at least have a high school diploma
- Be able to provide 2 references that can attest to your leadership qualifications
- Must submit a service learning project proposal with you membership application
- Mustbe able to attend every class in session
- Be between the ages of 18 - 30